After watching footage of the riots in Athens, I was left flabbergasted. The riot police walked right past the CNN news crew. They were firing flash bang grenades, spraying mace, and arresting rioters, but they didn’t touch the reporters, or hardly even acknowledge their existence. If this was in St. Paul, those journalists would have been arrested, held in custody for days, and never have their recording equipment released back to them. I suppose the unrest in Greece is nothing compared to our legendary Minnesota Nice.
- June 1: The Minnesota Historical Society is holding a state-wide open house (i.e., free admission) at all of their parks and historic sites. There are eight such sites in the metro: Mill City Museum, the State Capitol, Fort Snelling, Sibley House, Minnehaha Depot, Alexander Ramsey House, Minnesota History Center, James J. Hill House.
- Starting in November, Alaska Airlines will offer roundtrip service from MSP to Seattle. That’s a new carrier at MSP. They’re offering a special introductory rate of $139 (one-way) between MSP and SEA so if you wanted to do that fly out, drive back (or vice versa) thing, here’s a good chance.
- Chuck Olsen has Atmosphere on Conan.
- “Sharp increase in anti-LGBT violence in Minnesota.”
- “Minnesota Nice? Fuck That.” Verbal assault at the Holiday Station. What a douche!
- The University of Minnesota has entered their solar-powered vehicle, Centaurus, in the 2008 North American Solar Challenge. (And I’ll just point out that my alma mater, the University of Michigan, has won four of the eight races.)
- MinnPost has video of the Minneapolis Art on Wheels project. Super cool! Commenter suggests projecting on the side of the Xcel Energy Center during the RNC.
- “Good to the last drip: Minneapolis to spend $180,000 to market its (wait for this) tap water.”
- The Walker, mnartists.org, and The Unconvention are sponsoring a competition for artist-designed political yard signs called My Yard Our Message.
- Memorial Day Weekend is the time for the Northstar Classic Softball Tournament. There are all sorts of activities surrounding this giant gay softball tournament.
- That Lunds that has been under construction for three years at 12th & Hennepin could end up two blocks up the road, and bigger.
Lastly, because I can’t let it go, you need to look directly at the Taylor Carik = Bon Iver photo.
Image courtesy of mthomps00. Okay, I’m done with that.